Installing Appcelerator Titanium Studio 3.4 in OSX Yosemite

Portland ME - Had a tough time getting the newest Titanium Studio 3.4.1 installed today. I was receiving errors when the studio first loaded concerning "java.lang.nullpointerexception". When I tried to create a new project, more errors occured referencing "longjohn/dist/longjohn.js:185" and "TypeError: Object # has no method 'each' at CLI.emit" which prevented the project from being fully created. Also, when working form the command line I received the same errors. After much googling and not finding a good answer, I found a partial suggestion that worked. I rolled the Titanium SDK back to a different version with this command:


$ ti sdk install --branch 3_3_X

Once that installed, I was able to use titanium form the command line with no problem. Please note that before this, I also did everything most forum posts suggested, including uninstalling the titanium node package, uninstalling nodejs and then following the step by step guide Appcelerator has here http://docs.appcelerator.com/titanium/3.0/#!/guide/Quick_Start. At that point it still didnt work, however I think I was working with a fairly clean set up.

Once I could use titanium from the command line, I use the setup script there to finish my install. I think it helped everything apply without the GUI interfering.


$ titanium setup

The last issue I had to overcome was Titanium complaining about not finding the Android SDK. I installed it via the program GUI 5+ times and it never took. I also manually entered the path to the sdk in the command line setup tool. I even made sure the path to the SDK was included in the $PATH variable. Nothing worked, until I realized that the install package that Titanium gets and the one you get from https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html if you dont choose "GET THE SDK FOR AN EXISTING IDE" comtains an empty /packages directory! If you download the Eclipse ADT the sdk directory contains everything that is needed. I jumped back on the command line set up tool and told Titanium where to find the new Android SDK directory. Then I ran the Check Envirnoment function in the setup script and it successfully found the Android SDK.

Hopefully this helps!



Comments (0)

About Us

We are web developers versed in front and back end technologies. We like PHP, Drupal and Wordpress for our web apps and Foundation, Bootstrap, SUSY and Sass for our User Interfaces. Contact us to be apart of your next web project.

Latest Articles

Copyright © 2019 Focal55 Inc. / All rights reserved.